Lima Hall was named in honor of Lima businessmen, alumni and organizations who sponsored the construction of the dormitory.
Lima Hall was the first of the west campus residence halls. The project was begun with a fundraising dinner in Lima in September 1955. At the time of the
October 29,1955 groundbreaking ceremony, it was the only building at the west end of University Avenue in what had until recently been a farm field. The building was first occupied by students on September 21, 1958, and the dedication ceremony took place on October 19th.