Prior to the construction of
The project proceeded in phases. In mid-1958, the H.U. Tuttle Construction Company of
At their spring 1960 meeting, the trustees approved the construction of an addition to the cafeteria. It was not until early 1963, however, that a $613,954 contract was awarded for the work, again to the H.U. Tuttle Company. That spring, ground was broken for the union, and, by early April, the Northern Review was able to include a picture of the first walls being constructed. Though not all of the facilities were ready, the building was opened in January 1964.
Only a short time later, in the summer of 1966, work was begun by the Peterson Construction Company of
Over summer 1998, the west wing of McIntosh underwent extensive renovation. The bowling alley was reduced in size but given more modern equipment. The game room was updated. A centralized mail room was added. The student snack bar, the White Bear Inn, was upgraded to take the place of the Wishing Well, an area that had served as a faculty dining room.
Dr. McIntosh was born
Dr. McIntosh’s early exposure to higher education came through pastorates at
The McIntosh istration signaled a new era in Ohio Northern’s history as the institution left two decades of economic depression and war behind. By the end of the 1950’s the academic program had been strengthened to the point where , all of the university’s colleges were accredited by their respective evaluating bodies. Numerous buildings were erected, and enrollment climbed rapidly.
Following his retirement, Dr. McIntosh retained a lively interest in the institution, visiting campus often. On his last visit for commencement in May 1991, three ONU presidents, Dr. McIntosh, Dr. Meyer, and Dr. Freed were present.
Dr. McIntosh died
Following an impressive ceremony in the English Chapel on campus, Dr. McIntosh was buried at