University Power Plant
In 1922, the university power plant at the rear of
At their May meeting that year, the trustees authorized the construction of a modern $30,000 plant that more than doubled the university's generating capacity to 100 kilowatts, and extra heating capacity was included to handle several buildings under consideration. The plant began operation in November 1922. In addition to providing heat and light to the campus, the power plant also served as a practical laboratory for students in electrical and mechanical engineering.
It appears that the plant was taken out of service around 1952 or 1953. This was at the same time when the
Several offices then moved into the renamed Hill Annex. The basement was used by the Speech and Theater Department as a scene shop when theatrical performances were produced in Lehr auditorium. The mail room occupied the east end of the structure until recently when it was relocated to