Freeman Park is the area between Weber Hall and McIntosh Center, the site of Dr. Childe Harold Freeman’s home at 317 W. University Ave. This was one of three faculty houses located at the west edge of Ada on the former College of Agriculture farm. The University Board of Trustees authorized the purchase of the property at their May 6, 1961 meeting as temporary housing for freshman athletes. The park was dedicated in 1973.
Dr. Childe Harold Freeman was born in Salem, Ohio on June 3, 1872. In 1901, he graduated from Ohio Northern’s Scientific Course. Following a common practice of the time, he appears to have supported himself by teaching in various area schools both before and after graduation. While a student, he boarded and lodged with the family of Joseph and Marietta (Byrnes) Johnson. It was there that he met their daughter, Ethel, who he married on October 3, 1895
He returned to Ada in 1906 to become the principal of the Ada high school. Between 1907 and 1909 he served as superintendent of the Ada schools.
His return to the university began in 1909 when he was appointed chair of the English department. He held this position for the next 43 years until his retirement in June 1952.
In addition to a career in teaching, Dr. Freeman served three terms in the Ohio General Assembly beginning in 1918. He also maintained an interest in the local school system, serving on the Ada school board for a total of 32 years. Dr. Freeman died on April 15, 1954.