Taggart Law Library
The law library was named for Jay Paul Taggart, dean of the ONU College of Law and university trustee. Dr. Taggart died in 1949, and his extensive personal library was given to the university. Legal materials were deposited with the law library and numerous other items were sent to the Heterick Memorial Library. In 1953, his wife gave the university $50,000 to support the law library. At that time, the library was housed in the Warren G. Harding College of Law, later renamed Huber Memorial. The collection amounted to over 10,000 volumes. The law library was moved to the Tilton Hall of Law in 1973.
Rapid growth in the law library’s collections required that Tilton be enlarged. The university’s trustees began discussions on the construction of an annex at their October 1979 meeting. They approved opening the bidding process in October 1981, and construction was underway in December of that year for a 16,800 sq. ft. addition. The Thomas and Marker Construction
At the same ceremony, the law library addition was named the Eugene N. Hanson Annex. Dr. Hanson had taught law at Northern from 1947 to 1984 and served as law dean from 1958 to 1973.
Although the Hanson Annex was a significant improvement, by the 1990’s the
Dr. Taggart was born
He practiced law in
Taggart left Northern to practice law in Akron, Ohio. The following year, he joined the firm of White, Johnson, Cannon and Neff in
Dr. Taggart served as a member of the ONU Board of Trustees from 1930 until his death in 1949. He was the board’s secretary from 1935 onward. . In 1944, he was elected president of the Ohio Bar Association.