Edwin L. Williams Memorial Window
The Edwin L. Williams Memorial Window consists of a commemorative window and a quiet seating area on the balcony just off the Snyder Recital Hall. The dedication took place on October 14, 2006.
The artist, Tom Beckett, incorporated the surrounding elements of an existing window and augmented it with a central section. Describing this section, the artist noted:
Uplit by his score, “The Conductor” is caught in the moment as he turns the page and cues the horns in the beginning of Mussorgsky’s “Pictures at an Exhibition”, literally noted on the columns. This classic, a personal favorite of Ed’s trumpet origins, remains inspirational to brass or horn musicians and audiences in general.
The glasswork was done by Franklin Art Glass of
Edwin Williams was born July 9, 1947 in Crawfordsville, Indiana to Edwin Bruce and Virginia (Simms) Williams. He earned a BA of Music from DePauw University, a Master of Music degree in trumpet performance from Indiana University and the Doctor of Musical Arts from the College-Conservatory at the University of Cincinnati
In June 26, 1971 he married Rosemary “Rosie” Z. Zika and two years later joined the ONU music faculty. From 1974 to 1984, Dr. Williams served as principal trumpeter for the Lima Symphony Orchestra. He became chairman of the Music Department in 1983, succeeding Dr. Alan Drake.
During his career, he also performed as first trumpet and soloist with numerous orchestras and bands in the United States and Europe. Dr. Williams was active in many professional organizations and played a pivotal role in Ohio Northern’s summer band camps. He died July 14, 2005.